As experienced San Francisco auto accident lawyer, we represent clients who suffer life threatening injuries as a result of major crashes. We also defend the rights of people involved in more minor collisions, or ‘fender benders,’ helping them get the compensation they are entitled to in a claim. Minor car accidents can end up causing major injuries that can impact you for months or even years after the event. These cases can be confusing and you may find it helpful to consult with a San Francisco car accident lawyer.
Injuries Suffered in ‘Minor’ Car Accidents
There is no such thing as a minor car accident. Anytime two or more vehicles collide, the injuries victims suffer as a result can be severe. Car accidents typically involve sudden bumps and jolts to the body. In addition to causing cuts or bruises, these movements can also result in soft tissue injuries. The American Academy of Orthopedic Surgeons (AAOS) warns that the most common of these are likely to include:
- Sprains: These involve stretching of the ligaments, which connect bones to each other. Sprains commonly affect the ankles, knees, and wrists.
- Strains: These involve stretching and pulling of the muscles or tendons, which are cords that attach muscles to bones. These often impact the feet, legs, and back.
- Tears: The muscles, tendons, and ligaments can end up tearing as the result of excessive stretching and may require surgery to repair the damage.
In the immediate aftermath of your car accident, symptoms of soft tissue injuries are likely to be subtle. Symptoms such as stiffness, pain, and difficulty moving may not appear until days after. Regardless of the severity of a car accident or how minor you think your injuries are, it is important to seek medical care immediately. Not promptly addressing soft tissue injuries can cause serious complications and may result in potentially long term disabilities. Not getting medical care can also impact your rights to compensation in a claim for any medical expenses or lost wages you suffer as a result.
Car Accident Whiplash
Whiplash is another common type of soft tissue injury that can occur even in relatively minor car accidents. It results from sudden jolting or whipping of the head and neck, causing damage to the underlying muscles and tendons. Healthline advises that whiplash is particularly common in cases of rear end collisions and can end up leaving victims suffering chronic pain and limited mobility.
As with any type of soft injury, it can take days for symptoms of whiplash to fully appear. Be alert for the following in the days or weeks after a crash:
- Pain and stiffness in the neck that comes and goes;
- Numbness or tingling in your hands, arms, or legs;
- Headaches, especially at the base of the skull;
- Feeling dizzy or excessively tired and weak.
Our Auto Accident Lawyer in San Francisco is Here to Help
At Deldar Legal, we know the serious injuries that even minor crashes can result in. We help you get you the compensation you need to recover in a claim. To request a consultation, call our San Francisco car accident lawyers today.
Posted in: Auto Accidents