Does Los Angeles Traffic Result in More Aggressive Drivers?
Los Angeles and the rest of Southern California are well-known for traffic problems. In fact, a 2018 article published by Business Insider ranked L.A. as the worst city in the country for traffic congestion, with drivers spending an average of 102 hours stuck in traffic every year. With that said, as a resident, you probably do not need statistics to tell you that driving in Los Angeles and the surrounding areas can be extremely frustrating. For some people, the frustrations associated with heavy traffic and congestion can result in aggressive driving, putting everyone on the road at risk. Fortunately for victims, people who are injured by aggressive drivers can typically recover compensation for their accident-related losses by filing a personal injury claim. If you have been injured in a Los Angeles auto accident, keep reading to find out what to do next.
What Is Aggressive Driving?
The National High Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) defines aggressive driving as “the operation of a motor vehicle in a manner that endangers or is likely to endanger persons or property.” This technical definition encompasses a wide variety of driver behaviors, but the truth of the matter is that most of us know aggressive driving when we see it. Some specific examples of conduct that would almost certainly be considered aggressive driving include:
- Cutting other drivers off
- Blocking other drivers from changing lanes
- Running stop signs or red lights
- Speeding in heavy traffic
- Switching lanes without signaling
- Brake checking other drivers
If you see an aggressive driver on the road, you should put as much distance between you and that driver as possible. In some cases, you may even want to call 911 to ensure your safety and the safety of everyone else around you.
Protecting Your Rights after an Accident Caused by an Aggressive Driver
Unfortunately, aggressive drivers are going to continue causing accidents into the foreseeable future. If you are involved in an accident caused by someone who was driving aggressively, there are certain steps that you should take to ensure that you are able to recover the compensation to which you are entitled under California law:
- Call 911 and report the accident so that the police respond to the scene. If the police determine that the driver was violating any traffic laws or under the influence of drugs or alcohol, it can make your claim much simpler.
- Undergo a thorough medical evaluation, even if you do not think you are seriously hurt. It’s important to develop an official record detailing the extent and severity of your injuries.
- Do NOT accept a settlement offer before talking to an attorney.
- Call a California car accident lawyer as soon as possible after an accident. Waiting to retain counsel can hurt your chances of getting the compensation you deserve.
Injured by an Aggressive Driver? Call Deldar Legal Today to Speak with a California Personal Injury Attorney
If you have been injured in a Los Angeles auto accident, you should speak to an attorney as soon as you can. The lawyers of Deldar Legal are committed to helping injured victims obtain the compensation to which they are entitled under California law. With offices in San Jose, Los Angeles, West Covina, Riverside, Irvine, San Francisco, Sacramento, and San Diego, we can represent accident victims throughout the state. To schedule a free case evaluation with an aggressive personal injury attorney, call us today at 844.335.3271 or contact us online.