Protecting Your Child Against Car Accidents and Injuries
Protecting your children is a primary concern for parents. Unfortunately, one of the biggest dangers they face is from car accidents. As an experienced auto accident lawyer in San Jose, Deldar Legal knows how commonly crashes and collisions occur in our area and the serious personal injuries that often result. Whether you are driving your children to and from school, running daily errands, or taking more extended trips, it is important to take the necessary precautions to keep them safe.
Avoiding Reckless Behaviors and Driver Distractions
The California Office of Traffic Safety (OTS) reports that more than 5,000 car accidents occur in San Jose and throughout Santa Clara County each year. The most common causes are the reckless actions of motorists involved. When driving in general and particularly when there are children in the vehicle, you want to make safety a top priority. This means avoiding behaviors such as speeding, tailgating, improper passing, or disregarding traffic signs and signals. It also means keeping your attention firmly fixed on the road.
With children in the car, it is easy for parents to become distracted. However, taking your eyes off the road or your hands off the wheel for even a few seconds significantly increases your risks for motor vehicle accidents. To protect yourself and your children against personal injuries, follow these safety tips:
- Provide items to keep children busy in the car, such as snacks or coloring books.
- Explain to them that driving is an important task and that you will be unable to referee fights or attend to other needs while driving.
- If you have an infant in the car, a special needs child, or one who simply demands more attention, have another adult or older child sit with them in the back seat.
- If a situation does come up while you are driving, pull over at the first safe location before attempting to address it.
The Right Safety Seat Could Save Your Child’s Life
Despite the amount of precautions you take, motor vehicle accidents can still occur. When they do, the right car seat can save your child’s life. The American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), recently updated their recommendations regarding the types of car safety seats parents should use:
- Infants and toddlers should sit in rear facing car seats until they reach the age of two;
- Continue securing them in a forward facing seat until they reach the seat’s maximum weight limit, which is generally 65 pounds;
- Use a booster seat until they are nearly five foot tall, which is generally between the ages of 8 and 12.
Remember that for children under 12, the safest place in the vehicle in the event of a crash is in the back seat.
Our Auto Accident Lawyer in San Jose, CA is Here to Help You
At Deldar Legal, our top priority is protecting you and your loved ones. When crashes or collisions happen, contact our auto accident lawyer in San Jose and request a consultation right away.
Posted in: Auto Accidents